Friday, November 2, 2012

Cabo San Lucas Surf Fishing Trip


This past week I had the pleasure of traveling to Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico via Carnival cruise lines. With Cabo San Lucas being such a big fishing city, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get some fishing time in. I met up with a local surf fishing guide by the name of Wesley Brough. Wesley has lived in Cabo a majority of his life and fishes the surf just about everyday. He's a very cool guy that sure knows where the fish are. 

The scenery
I met up with Wesley around 9:30am local time and headed straight to the water. He took me to a beach nearby because I was limited on time. The conditions were hot and humid, which Wesley said was "cooler" weather from what they've been having. We were using at least 9 foot rods, 50 pound braid, 100 pound mono leaders and topwater hard baits. It was a lot different than my usual 7 foot bass rods. We were hitting various rock structures and Wesley began hooking up with sea bass and Jack Crevalle. He told me to cast in between two rock structures and I was soon rewarded with my first sea bass in international waters. After that, we walked north where he said we can catch a certain kind of Jack he doesn't catch anywhere else. I casted out first but nothing took the bait. Wesley then casted out and on his retrieve you could see about 6 Jacks following the bait. It was an amazing sight to see. One Jack ended up going for it and Wesley hooked him. He passed the rod to me and I was in for the fight of my life. Just when I thought the fish was done it would take off again. After a couple tiring minutes I finally landed the biggest fish I've ever caught. I was shocked to see that you could catch fish of that size from surf. Words couldn't describe the excitement I felt. 

Having the opportunity to fish in Cabo San Lucas was truly a blessing. I was able to meet a fellow angler and catch some fish in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. It was a great experience and I was able to leave with some great memories. I can't say when I'll be back, but I can say I WILL be back with rod and reel in hand. 
If you're ever in the Cabo San Lucas area be sure to contact Wesley Brough. He's a real nice guy with a lot of experience, and he'll give you everything you need to get on some fish. 

www.WesleyBrough.com
Twitter: @cabosurfcaster
Email: Cabosurfcaster@yahoo.com






7 comments:

  1. Wow, That's awesome..all by shoreline fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing blog. my 10 year old niece liked your pictures :P
    Fishing In Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it,
    Cabo San Lucas yacht Rentals

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for this kind of information. Thanks a lot dear.
    Your Post is too good.I like your post about Surf Fishing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is really great. The information here will surely be of some help to me. Thanks!. Cabo San Lucas yacht Rentals

    ReplyDelete