Monday, April 11, 2011

Using Braided Line


So recently I did the switch from my usual flourocarbon line to braided line. I decided to go with 8lb Shimano Power Pro braid, but eventually I will step it up to 20lb because the diameter is about the same as 8lb monofilament line. 


My first impressions of braid is that it reminded me of sewing thread and felt really strong. After my first cast, I was amazed with the casting ability I had from the braid. I was using a 1/4 ounce lead head with a swimgrub and I blasted it out there. Here are some of the reasons why I love braided fishing line:

  • Casting ability - each cast is smoother and longer than other fishing lines
  • Stronger 
  • Lasts longer - You won't have to buy new line for a long time because of the use of a leader
  • Abrasion resistant - Little to no abrasion so you can fish deep cover (pilings, branches, rocks) without damaging line
  • Sensitivity - Much more sensitive. I can feel everything from the smallest nibble to my sinker hitting rocks on the bottom
  • Less memory - There is little to no memory which eliminates line twists
To sum things up, I am a big fan now of using braided fishing line. I will probably be using braid from here on out. 


When using braid be sure to tie a flourocarbon leader because braid is not invisible underwater, which can affect your chances of getting bit. Tie about 5 feet of flourocarbon line to the braid using the Uni to Uni knot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment